Since the founding years of the Digital Opportunities Foundation in 2002, its mission has been to research the societal consequences of digitization, to advocate equal access for all people and to strengthen their media skills. The goal is to promote the digital inclusion of all societal groups and to counteract an impending digital divide. The Digital Opportunities Foundation is working under the patronage of the German Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy, as of the Federal Ministry of Family, Seniors, Women and Youth.
The foundation is registered in the European Transparency Register under http://ec.europa.eu/transparencyregister/public/consultation/displaylobbyist.do?id=948042627375-19
The internet offers opportunities for more information, more participation and social engagement. We want to lay the groundwork, that allows all people to participate and actively help create the digital society. The main goal of the Digital Opportunities Foundation is digital inclusion - for which we work in the thematic areas
Activities and target audience
The Digital Opportunities Foundation operates within their own publicly and privately funded projects. We accompany public, societal and political discourse with our work and actively support the networking of the involved stakeholders from politics, economy, science and civil society in different areas.
Our projects and activities especially target multipliers in child and youth work, adult education and in volunteer work. We focus on
- Development of curricula and implementation of further education including piloting among other things for implementing our topics in education and training formats
- Steering, monitoring, consulting and evaluation of processes of social change processes
- Competitions to promote public awareness and discourse
- Organization of events, workshops, conferences, campaigns and the development and promotion of networks
- Development and provision of materials, online learning offers, tools, databases, link collections and recommendations for action
- Development and implementation of usability tests
- Requirements analysis for software development
- Comparative research and benchmarks on youth protection tools
With our projects and activities we address educational specialists and teachers especially in the education, training and further education who work as multipliers with different disadvantaged groups. Additionally, the work of the foundation is also aimed directly at
- Families difficult to reach
- People with disabilities
- Socially and educationally disadvantaged children and youth
- Socially and educationally disadvantaged adults
- Senior citizens
Partners and donors
We work in cooperation with public, civil society and private business partners. The projects in the foundation are funded through European funding programs, the German federal and state governments or other public funding agencies. The foundation also works with partners from the industry. Our founders and donors support us.
The Digital Opportunities Foundation works under the patronage of the German Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy and under the patronage of the Federal Ministry of Family, Seniors, Women and Youth.
In the foundations advisory board Representatives of various civil society organisations give advice and support in regard of thematic development and implementation of our workReferences
Since 2002 the Digital Opportunities Foundation has been carrying out projects on a national and international level. You can get an overview under projects.