Carolines Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (190 grams) creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) granulated sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
Add in the peanut butter and continue mixing until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract until fully combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Place the 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar in a small bowl. Using a two tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the dough from the bowl, roll into a ball, and coat in the granulated sugar. Place each ball of cookie dough on the prepared baking sheets, making sure to leave a little room between each one. Gently press down with a fork on the top of each cookie to make a small criss-cross pattern.
Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.